Monday, September 3, 2012

Skunk Debacle


A couple of weeks ago Jersee woke up in the middle of the night at 2 am needing to go out and use the bathroom. Mike being the wonderful husband that he is got up and took the dogs out. He is very vigilant at night making sure they don't bark. When they come back in our entire house immediately smelled like tires were on fire in our house. Kali came up and got in bed with me and my nose was on fire. I couldn't place the smell that is how bad it was. I got out of bed and looked at Kali and she had saliva dripping out of her mouth. This only happens when she throws up repeatedly. I went and got some toilet paper to wipe of the excess saliva and immediately it was replaced by a fresh batch...also irregular. It then clicked that my poor baby had been sprayed by a skunk. I went out in a panic to talk to Mike and I see Jersee dry heaving next to her kennel and rubbing her nose of the carpet and trying to scratch the smell out of her nose. I tried finding out how to get rid of the smell and I only looked at one site which said to just wash them over and over again. Mike being so wonderful washed Kali 3 times and Jersee twice. We put them back in their kennels and opened all of the windows in our house. I couldn't sleep because of the smell and I can't fall asleep when I breath through my mouth. I tried using Sunbreeze (which is basically like Vicks Vapor Rub) thinking that putting the strong smelling liquid on my chest would help drown out the smell. Nope couldn't even catch a whiff of it. I then resorted to spraying my pillow with perfume. That seemed to do the trick as long as I kept my nose in the same area of my pillow.
The next day I researched some more and found a miracle solution. 1 quart hydrogen peroxide 1/4 C baking soda and 2 tsp. dawn dish soap. You then give your dog a bath with this mixture and let it set for 5 minutes. It worked like a charm. And my dogs were back to smelling like normal the next day (well all except for Jersee's snout where she got the brunt of the spray).
Because the smell was so bad it imbedded in all of our soft fabrics. This began the great washing of 2012. We had to wash all of our pillows clothes and bedding. We bough Nature's Miracle Skunk Deodorizer from the store which you put in with your laundry soap. This also worked like a charm. The dogs bedding which had come in contact with the oil-like spray had to be washed multiple times but they smell great now.
We are still finding things in our house that have to be washed but our house is almost back to a normal smell after 2 weeks. I can't believe how bad our luck was that night. What are the chances that our dogs would need to use the restroom at the exact time that a skunk decided to come and take a tour of our FENCED back yard? Oh well, lesson learned and now I'll know what to do if it ever happens again. One things for sure. The dogs won't be allowed back in the house until they have been washed down OUTSIDE with the miracle mixture. At least all of our clothes are clean:)

No comments:

Post a Comment