Monday, September 3, 2012

Peach Summer

Last year I bough peaches at Allred Orchards and I jarred them. They didn't last long. I had to tell Mike to stop eating them because we were going to run out before winter actually set in. This year I bought double the amount. I was able to try two different kinds of peaches. I jarred peaches again but we also had enough to freeze for smoothies and enough to make two of the most delicious fruit pies ever!
My bother Merlin always makes fresh fruit pies and they ROCK! I forget the recipe every year when I go to make this peach pie. This is the recipe.

Fresh Peach, Pear, or Strawberry Pie
(Better Homes and Garden New Cook Book)

8 cups medium strawberries or 6 cups sliced peeled peaches or pears
2/3 C. Water
2/3 C. Sugar
2 T. Cornstarch
Baked pie shell

For glaze, in a blender container or food processor bowl combine 1 C of fruit and water. Cover and blend until smooth. Add enough additional water to equal 1 1/2 C. In a medium saucepan combine sugar and cornstarch. Stir in blended berry mixture. (My bother also adds a dash of kosher salt and a squeeze of lemon). Cook and stir over medium heat till mixture is thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir for 2 minutes more. Cool for 10 minutes without stirring.
Spread about 1/4 cup of the glaze over bottom and sides of baked pie shell. Arrange half of the fruit in the shell. Spoon half of the remaining glaze over fruit, thoroughly covering each piece of fruit. Arrange remaining fruit over first layer. Spoon remaining glaze over fruit covering each piece. Chill for 1 to 2 hours. Garnish with whipped cream ( I add a little almond extract in the cream and it pairs with the peaches wonderfully!).

Last weekend Mike and I was able to go to the Farmers' Market. I LOVE going each year. One of the things I look forward to getting is the fresh flavored lemonades. This year we tried peach and strawberry. They have blended fresh fruit and they spoon that over the ice and them fill it with fresh squeezed lemonade. We also got two crepes with the same fresh strawberry topping. SO GOOD! I typically don't enjoy fruit drizzle over crepes because it just tastes like sugar and nothing else. This tasted like fresh strawberries. Not too sweet at all.
Aren't those BEAUTIFUL!

No comments:

Post a Comment