Sunday, March 28, 2010

Best-Ever Chocolate Fudge Layer Cake

I got this recipe a long time ago and have made it a coupld of times but there was always something about it that my husband didn't like. The original recipe is from Kraft and they use a tub of Cool Whip for the fosting and it gave the frosting a waxey texture that bothered my husband. On my next attempt I tried just making a regular chocolate frosting and I didn't like it because it turned out too sweet. This is the final attempt and the best by far. I ended up making it twice in one week and both times it was a huge success!

1 box chocolate cake mix
1 box (8oz.) Bakers semi-sweet chocolate
1 box (small) chocolate pudding (the instant is fine)
1 cup sour cream
4 eggs
1/2 cup oil
1/2 cup water
1 pint whipping cream
Sugar
Vanilla

Preheat your oven to 350. Mix cake mix, pudding, sour cream, oil, and water together until well combined. Cut up 2 of the ounce blocks of semi-sweet chocolate (I am lazy so I just added semi-sweet chocolate chips) and add to the cake batter. Stir to combine. Place cake batter in 2, 9 inch round pans. Bake at 350 for 30 to 35 minutes. (I live in a high altitude area and I didn't need to change anything to make it turn out.) Take cake out of the oven when a toothpick come out clean when poked into the center of the cake. Let cool in the pans on a cooling rack for 10 minutes. Remove cake from the pans and let cool completely before adding the frosting.

Frosting
Whip the entire pint of whipping cream. Add the sugar and vanilla to the whipped cream to taste. Melt 6 oz. of the semi-sweet chocolate (either in a double broiler or in the microwave). Add the chocolate to the whipped cream and mix together.
**I have made this frosting twice and the first time turned out wonderful. I used a hand held blender to mix the cream. The second time I used my kitchen aid mixer and the cream came out lumpy. I did another variation of this frosting for another cake and I used the hand held mixer again and it turned out smooth again. I think when I used the kitchen aid I over whipped the cream so be careful if you decide to use one.

No comments:

Post a Comment